Thursday, July 16, 2009

Introductions

Hello People,

This is more of journal/experiment into blogging about a topic that is near and dear to my alcohol-induced heart- homebrewing. Specifically, I have come to enjoy the simplicity of meadmaking. Do not misinterpret this statement, meadmaking can be a very complex, rich experience, but to make a traditional mead, all you need is a bucket, honey, water, and yeast, but this in of itself can be complex. The complexity is exploring the myraid of types and styles, and it is in the details of how to create the most delicious, enjoyable drink you can. This first post is to give you some background on my own experiences in homebrewing and some (very soon) upcoming topics.

I received my first homebrewing kit in 2001. Over the years, I have made, contaimnated, enjoyed, sold, shared, and gifted many, many gallons of homebrewed beer. This is where I give credit to the man that showed the joy of homebrewing- Ben Doolittle. He introduced me to this concept of homebrewing. The idea that I could make gallons and gallons of tasty beer, in styles that I choose, and in some instances cheaper than store bought beer, was mind-blowing. I am not a beer (or any other type of alcohol) snob, but a drink with complexity, depth that just tastes really good is preferred over cheap drinks. I will not turn my nose up at a cold (insert American generic beer brand here), and have consumed mass quantities of it. Back to homebrewing, the process is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable processes. There is nothing like offereing a friend one of your homebrewed beverages, and not only enjoy YOUR creation, but becomes a spokesmen for it. The sharing aspect, knowing that I have produced something of quality that people enjoy is rewarding. The added benefit is making barrels and barrels of your brew to enjoy at home. I have pages and pages of notes on almost all of my brewing adventures, and will share it all here in the hope of helping some people.

This brings me to the point of this blog- MEAD!!! I took a 3 year hiatus from homebrewing because of graduate school and life in general. I have started my first batch about 4 days ago. I have pictures and notes chronicling the events. I will be periodically post pictures and bits of information on the process. In between the meadmaking process, I will try giving insights (don''t expect this too often), recommendations, information, stories, and answer any questions you have rumbling in that cranium. I am hoping to provide a, somewhat, useful blog for people interested in mead and meadmaking. Notice in that sentence, "people interested in mead." If you are not interested in meadmaking, but are intrigued by mead as a tasty beverage, there will be information in here for you as well. Some upcoming topics are "What is Mead?," "The Creation of Alcohol," "Mead Tasting," and "The Honey and the Bees" to name a few. If you have suggestions of topics you would like covered, please let me know.

Ground Rules and Expectations:
I am not a professional brewer, nor do I purport unwavering expertise. I am an enthusiast- that is all. I have not entered in any competitions, but plan in the future to attempt this challenge. Questions and comments are always welcomed. However, please make an effort to communicate clearly, do not whine for the sake of whining, and "flaming" without any sort of substance will be considered counter-productive and subsequently disregarded or removed. Also, if I don't know an answer, I will search my books, contacts, and the internet for as accurate answer as I can provide.

Stay tuned for the next post: "What is Mead?"

No comments:

Post a Comment