Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reuseable


This is a continuation of the Applenoon Delight journey.

You can see that I have two batches of Applenoon Delight. I have transferred the first Applenoon Delight (as seen in my last post) from the primary fermenter to the secondary fermenter, and not I have a large yeast culture that is ready to be used. To be honest, this is my first time reusing yeast, and am excited about the prospects. I have a new bucket, and have taken full advantage of it.

The recipe is slightly different this time around. Instead of 9 pounds of honey, I used 12 pounds of honey, and only used 4 gallons of store bought apple juice. The apple juice is "fresh" pressed, not made from concentrate. This is, once again, only a personal preference of mine. I used my sanitized spoon to ensure that the must was mixed well.

I did take an OG reading before I added the yeast, which was 1.128. Before adding the yeast, I used 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and 1 teaspoon of yeast energizer. A little more than a teaspoon of the yeast nutrient accidently fell into the must, but I do not believe it will cause a problem. Ok, so it was closer to a tablespoon of yeast nutrient, my hand slipped. With the yeast culture size, the fermentation started within 5 hours. This is the fastest I have ever seen a fermentation begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment